Module 30: The Role of Veterinarians in Honey Bee Health
This module provides basic knowledge to allow you to better communicate with beekeepers and serve the needs of these unique patients. Includes indicators of honey bee health and disease; and relevant honey bee diseases and conditions. Provide veterinarians with basic knowledge of honey bee biology, beekeeping. Information about relevant honey bee diseases and conditions, to foster communication with beekeepers, ensure stewardship of antimicrobial use in honey bees. Module focuses on role of veterinarians related to antimicrobial use, issuance of prescriptions and VFDs in honey bees.
- describe the U.S. honey bee industry and the importance of honey bee pollination to the U.S. food supply;
- describe current pollinator threats and mitigation strategies;
- communicate effectively with beekeepers regarding honey bee biology and beekeeping basics;
- recognize, diagnose, and authorize appropriate treatments for relevant honey bee diseases; and
- understand and fulfill your role as an AV employing the judicious use of antimicrobials in honey bees through the issuance of prescriptions and VFDs.